Yesterday was a rainy day here and so there weren't very many garage sales. We did go to one though where I got Mulan 2 on dvd and a shirt for me. I spent 4$. We have been selling a few things. Last year we went to an estate sale where I bought some Hull pottery items....about 18 items and spent 12 dollars. We just sold the last of those items and would have made about 75$ on them BUT there was an insurance debacle with the post office, items were broken and so we only made about 40$. But still, not bad. Also, we sold last week's bunk bed and made about 35$. So the buying and selling is going strong!
On another note competely I've been thinking about what it looks like to respond well to other people in need. I do not feel like historically I've been great about this. A few years ago when I was going through a really hard time I saw and learned from some people who do this REALLY well. Often when someone else is going through a hard time people will say things like this, "Let me know if you need anything." This seems nice but it's really not helpful at all. When your life is hard the last thing you need is to be thinking of what you need and asking other people to do it. Right!? Sometimes you don't even know if you need something. I mean do you NEED for someone to make you a meal....when was the last time you called someone else to ask if they would cook you dinner? We don't do that. There are often things that would be really HELPFUL though. When I was going through this rough time I got a lot of cards, flowers, I had friends buy me a gift card to a store they knew I loved, friends would just drop by to talk with me, and other friends would call me and say..."Can I bring you guys dinner tonight." When I was pregnant with the twins I had a friend call me to say, I am going to make you dinner every wednesday until a month after the twins are born. Wow...that was so helpful and thoughtful. So I encourage to put the burden on yourself....what could you do for someone else that might help them...think of something and do it.
No comments:
Post a Comment