I want to begin to use this blog to supplement a Bible study that I help coordinate. Right now we are studying the book of Jeremiah together chapter by chapter. Since it is summer we are not actually meeting physically together but instead are studying on our own and then I post a video each week on YouTube...or perhaps here now and give some additional information I have gathered in my own study. Most people are using a study during their personal study time by Precept Ministries on Jeremiah. http://store.precept.org/By-Book-of-the-Bible/jeremiah/Jeremiah-Part-1-Precept-Workbook.html
I have been studying the Bible using Precept Inductive Studies for the last 13 years and highly recommend them for either independent studies or with a group. I invite anyone to join us near or far but I would love to know if you are joining! What I want to use this blog for is just another platform to put information about Bible Study material in your hands!
We are already at Jeremiah chapter 5 and so I will not be recapping what we have done up until now but I will post a link to the videos but will preface them that there are in no way professional and it's slightly embarrassing to me to even make them but I am overcoming my pride and doing it anyway if it will be helpful and I have been convinced by the women in my study that it is in fact helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh-CSwQObZA
So, now to get to the point:
Jeremiah 5:22 "Do you not fear Me? declares the Lord.
"Do you not tremble in My presence? For I have placed the sand as a boundary for the sea, An eternal decree, so it cannot cross over it. Though the waves toss, yet they cannot prevail; Though they roar, yet they cannot cross over it. But this people has a stubborn and rebellious heart; They have turned aside and departed."
There is a great website FULL of great resources for studying the Bible called Precept Austin. Today I read a sermon on this verse by Charles Spurgeon given in 1856 and it was very convicting and really brought this verse to life for me. Let me quote some of it for you:
"The majesty of God, as displayed in Creation and Providence, ought to stir up our hearts in adoring
wonder and melt them down in willing obedience to His commands. The Almighty power of Jehovah so
clearly manifest in the works of His hands should constrain us, His creatures, to fear His name and prostrate
ourselves in humble reverence before His Throne. When we know that the sea, however tempestuous,
is entirely submissive to the behests of God; that when He says, “Hitherto shall you come, but no
further,” it dares not encroach—“The pride of its waves is stayed.” When we know that God bridles the
tempest, though “Nature rocks beneath His tread,” and curbs the boisterous storm—He ought to be
feared—verily, He is a God before whom it is no dishonor for us to bow ourselves in the very dust! The
contemplation of the marvelous works which He does upon “the great and wide sea,” where He tosses
the waves to and fro and yet keeps them in their ordained courses, should draw forth our most devout
emotions and I could almost say, inspire us with homage! Great are You, O Lord God! Greatly are You
to be praised! Let the world which You have made and all that is therein, declare Your glory!"
Thus, unbelief of the Almighty Creator is a crime of the first magnitude! If it were a petty Sovereign against whom you rebelled, it might be pardonable. If He were a man like
yourselves, you might expect that your faults would easily find forgiveness. But since He is the God
who reigns alone where clouds and darkness are round about Him; the God to whom all Nature is obedient
and whose high behests are obeyed both in Heaven and in Hell, it becomes a crime—the terrible
character of which words cannot portray—that you should ever sin against a God so marvelously great!
The greatness of God enhances the greatness of our sin. I believe this is one lesson which the Prophet
intended to teach us by the text. He asks us in the name of God, or rather, God asks us through him—
“Fear you not Me? says the Lord—will you not tremble at My Presence?”
I hope that it makes you interested in taking some time to read the rest of this sermon! You can find it here:
http://www.spurgeongems.org/vols4-6/chs220.pdf
No comments:
Post a Comment